Keeping Your Data Backed Up And Verified
If you aren’t backing up (and verifying) your data, then you’re putting it at risk. Cybercrime, hardware damage, human error – the list of ways you can lose data goes on and on.
Data loss can happen without notice.
You could come into work and find that flooding has fried your systems. Or you could download the wrong attachment from a seemingly safe email, and find that your data is being held at ransom. Or you may just accidentally delete it – it happens to all of us.
But it’s OK, right?
Because all your data is backed up, and more importantly, you’ve verified that it’s backed up and available.
Reasons To Verify Your Data Backup Capabilities
- Data Retention Contingencies: At the rate that technology evolves (and how quickly your standard operations and concerned policies are required to keep up with it), it’s no surprise that some businesses find it difficult to keep up with. When policy development falls behind the pace of adopted technologies, it can often lead to gaps, which can affect data retention. The fact is that many applications only have limited backup and retention policies, equipped to handle situational data loss – not comprehensive.
- Cybercrime: Data loss is often the result of poor digital security; without the right defenses, cybercriminals can easily infect an IT system with ransomware or other types of malware and compromise company data. In a ransomware attack, a hacker gains access to an organization’s computer systems.
Typically, an unsuspecting employee clicks on an emailed attachment that appears to be a bill or other official document. In actuality, the attachment installs malware onto the computer system. Once embedded, the malware allows a hacker to access critical systems, often giving complete remote control data and access.
If you have you have a data backup solution, then it doesn’t matter if your data has been encrypted. You can just replace it with your backup, simple as that.
That’s why you should make a considerable investment in a comprehensive backup data recovery solution so that you can restore your data at a moment’s notice when necessary.
- Maintaining Compliance: When it comes to modern compliance requirements, redundant data backups are critical. You’ll want to make sure you know what’s required of your industry’s compliance regulations, and make sure you have backup methods in place to meet those. The default backup capabilities offered by many applications may not suffice for the most stringent regulations.
What To Look For In A Data Backup Solution
- Comprehensive Backups: The backup solution should provide both local onsite backup for quick recovery in instances of data loss, as well as an offsite cloud-based backup for when your business is hit with a critical disaster.
- Regularly Verification: Your IT company shouldn’t expect you to assume that your backups will just work when needed. They should regularly test your backups to verify their effectivity in the event that something goes wrong with your onsite data.
- Convenient Restoration: Don’t settle for clumsy, all-or-nothing backups. You should be able to choose a point in time to restore in the event that the data has been deleted, corrupted, or there has been a malicious intrusion.
The key is in finding the right third-party backup solution to keep your data protected against hardware failure, ransomware, human error, and whatever else may occur.
Need Expert Assistance Managing Your Backups?
If you are unsure about implementing a reliable and comprehensive data backup, then you need to find an IT partner that can help you out – NOVA Computer Solutions is here to assist.
Data continuity is all about prevention – no matter what you do, you cannot start focusing on data backup after your systems have gone down. At that point, it is too late. Take the necessary steps now to protect your data down the road.
Contact us to secure your data back up today!
As a consultant to dental practices, I help my clients maximize what can be done with their technology to maximize production and profit.